- Location: Andes Range, Argentina
- Highest Peak in the Americas: 22,841 feet, 6962 meters
- Highest Peak outside Asia
- Available oxygen at summit: 40% of sea level
- Climber success rate: approx 30%
- Deaths per year: 5-7
- Major Hazards: Extreme altitude, weather--wind and cold
- Route: Target: Polish Glacier route, actual: Polish Traverse route.
- Expedition members: Pete and Rob
- Expedition Length: 18 days total: 9 days to summit, 12 days on Mountain
Our first glimpse of the mountain on day 2. The hike into base camp starts at 7800 feet and is 25 miles into base camp. We took three days going in--being in no hurry--hoping to let our bodies acclimatize.